The Polymath is my weblog where I post about Issues, Criticism, Gaming, Design, Teenage and other topics related/not related to me. The Polymath started as a Blogger blog titled ‘Sigh of a Polymath’ in December 2011.
The Origin Story
People usually ask me about both, the origins of The Polymath. So, we had a teacher. He’s
still not in my school but I hardly talk to him anymore because he doesn’t teach our class now. One day, this person came up with a really good exercise, at least the idea was really good, he asked us to give each other two characters from fantasies, fairy tales and simple fiction and connect them in a story. I got ‘Barney Stinson’ and ‘Robin Hood’ and I formed a story like any other excited 10th standard kid would. He claimed that he could read our personalities with the stories we wrote and the inference he gave me was what pissed me off.
“You’ll never succeed in life”, he said, “You are the jack of all, you will do everything that everyone else is doing and will not stop giving up and taking up new interests and just because you’ll not stay constant onto a single thing, you won’t succeed. You play drums if a friend of yours plays drums. If another friend starts to learn the guitar, you’ll start learning the guitar. You are the master of none.”
Those were his exact words, words which pissed me off to my toenail, words which made me so desperate that I practically wanted denial at the time. Tell a 14-year-old that stuff and he is bound to panic, so did I, I searched and without much looking up Wikipedia gave me a little phrase, a phrase I never imagined would become one of the prime aspects in my life – The Polymath. I was so Happy-Sad-Angry-Frustrated i.e. I was flustered with emotions and that is when I wrote this on the blogger ancestor of what today is ThePolymath.in.
So, that’s the story of how both my alter ego and my blog came into existence.
Where Did I Deviate?
Approximately, a month later, I realized that I had nothing to write and this ‘blog’ idea was turning into something what the previous 8 blogs since 6th standard had become. poof They didn’t exist anymore. I deleted them because I had nothing to write. Life wasn’t very well too, the bubble that keeps a child away from the harsh contemporary realities was bursting and the realizations were dramatic. The drama increased tenfold and since those early days till now, ‘Issues and Criticism’ has been introduced into the blog as the prime category and that is how, The Polymath was now, not just my knowledge or learnings but my views too.
What Has This Blog Given Me?
This blog has done wonders for me as a person.
- It improved my writing skills, grammar and language to a level I had not imagined ever, though I have a long way to go.
- It has also given me a very fine bragging right – “I have maintained a blog for around 2 years.” Doesn’t sound too bad, does it?
- I have been asked for a guest article by Penguin Books India’s Youth Magazine called ‘Inked‘, read it here. Though, I think I could’ve done a better article.
- Best of all, almost half of the people I know call me, ‘The Polymath’. So, that is an achievement for me.
Here are some people I would like to mention who have always read this blog even back when I had no traffic at all. These are :
- My Elder Brother, Drona Khurana and my parents who support me through the whole idea of having a blog.
- Friends from school who know why this blog exists, how it got here and what not.
- Some amazing people I met in college who have known me as the blogger guy and push me to do better with my writing.
And every other reader has my thanks for coming here and trying to get to know a little more about the blog. Thank you and kindly bookmark or subscribe via email using my sidebar widget if you like the blog. 🙂