You obviously know about Google+. Yes, that ghost town people talk about on Facebook. Thing is, Google+ isn’t a ghost town now and Facebook isn’t a social network. Yes, you read that right. I see more spam, crap and ads on Facebook than any other website I have ever seen. Well except those torrents and piracy websites who have a whole page filled with download buttons, challenging you to choose the right one. But that isn’t what this post is about so let’s not deviate. This is a very simple post I have been compiling since before examinations and I guess now is the best time to post it. So here are 10+1 Reasons Why Google+ is a great Social Network.
1. No Spam or Scam – The best part about Google+ is that it’s clean and when I say clean I’m not just talking about the design, though that forms a big difference, but what I mean here is that you won’t find much of ‘Share this or kids in Africa will die of hunger’ or ‘Like this because you love your mother’ on Google+ probably because the retards have not yet migrated from Facebook.
2. GIF Support – Google+ supports GIFs. Which is the coolest thing a social network could do, because then you won’t need stupid jokes to like around. If you don’t know what a GIF is then look down.
So, with these actually funny things you won’t need fake funny crap on a social network. Also, GIFs are considered the best forms of expression of emotion, better than rage and meme.
3. Formatting of Comments & Posts – This is probably for those guys who are tired of using ‘ ‘ or ALL CAPS for emphasis on their Facebook posts or comments, Google+ lets you format comments to Bold, Italics,
Strikethrough. Also, the (almost) infinite text limit is a lifesaver, though, no one will ever use it.
4. Don’t Like And Forget, Interact with Communities – Yes, you have liked ‘Photography Tips’ or something like that on Facebook but that’s it. You’ve liked it and now it sits deep within your cluttered news feed. Google+ offers Communities, those who’ve lived Orkut know about it already. These are great Forums/Discussion Groups for people with similar interests. Best part is that they’re moderated, almost all of them and that you can actually interact and get to know more about the topics of interest and people too.
5. Control Your News Feed – Don’t like a person, page or community then they won’t be allowed in your news feed. You are in control of what you want to see. Period. The best part is that exercising the control isn’t cumbersome and is actually quite easy.
6. The +1 Is Not Just On Google+, It Is On The Internet – What is internet? It is basically Google. The most important application of Internet is Google Search, there is Facebook and Twitter I agree, but Youtube, Blogger, Maps, Translate, Drive, Gmail etc. are a major part of the internet and it’s all Google.
The +1 button is thus, not just on Google+ but it is spread all over the internet, you can +1 blogs, videos, places without even going to Google+. Like works similar but requires implementation by the webmasters, with every big service of every interest already existing under the Google Ecosystem of Apps the implementation is already global.
Hence, +1 is somewhat your World Wide Web opinion, if you choose to cast it.
7. Hangouts and Multiple Video Calling – Hangouts is still immature but that’s the mobile apps which are developing at a workable rate. Hangouts lets you video call and not just that it lets you video call up to 10 people as a group. Your very own conference room in the convenience of the loo. Though I do agree that the average speeds in India won’t handle that much data.
8. Android – Well, according to numbers Android dominates Mobile phones on a worldwide scale with an approx 75% of activated devices. It is only in the US where Apple still leads. Point being, Android is becoming more and more integrated with Google+ from Apps to Play Games to Music everything now relies on your Google account, some way or the other and the best use of that can be done using Google+. Specially the turn based multiplayer introduced last month.
9. Circles & Privacy – Circles are easier to manage than Lists and the requirement of adding a person to a Circle eliminates the adding as friend and then adding to list, so in a way, you are controlling your privacy directly while connecting with someone. But if you need to change those settings, those can be done with real fluidity and without error.
10. Mobile Apps and Photo Editor/Gallery – Google+ has two mobile apps installed with one package, one is Photos and the other is Google+ (obviously). Now the Google+ app is really great on all platforms unlike Facebook who has forever cared about the iOS version and gives no weight to the Android app. It literally sucks. Ask anyone. The Photos app is a great addition, this app has three prime features, an automatic backup and a great photo editor/gallery. The Photo editor is available online as well and the best part is that all filters can be reversed even after saving, provided you have auto backup on.
+1. Auto Awesome – Auto Awesome is a really cool gimmick, though calling it a gimmick is injustice to the concept, say you took 5 photos of a single object but the object kept on moving, Auto Awesome will automatically create a GIF of the five photos. Maybe you took 5 different Snapshots of a Landscape, Auto Awesome may stitch a panorama of them as a 6th image. The only thing is that Auto Awesome requires at least 5 photos, then it just does something awesome, that’s it. It’s fun because it’s unpredictable and you won’t even realise that you are clicking not 5 but 6 images because one will just be there unexpectedly.
With that I’ll end this post. Google+ has people and features that are really cool. Everyone should give this platform a try for a few weeks, at least.